Rectangular pot lid with under-glaze transfer-printing in black: ‘Tooth Powder/ Henry Francis Partridge/ L.D.S. R.C.S. F.S.S./ Surgeon Dentist/ South Kensington’.
Henry Francis Partridge is listed from at least 1879. In 1888 he was involved in a court case after being struck off for using the letters LDS after his name. He was the founder of the Ladies’ Dental Association and lived at Storndale Road, Shepherd’s Bush. His death, aged 50, was recorded at Kensington in September 1895.
Lids of this sort may normally have been returnable. Partridge’s death in 1895 may explain why it was discarded.