Two bottles, one enormous, the other large. Embossed: ‘The Original Ship Brand Chutney Manufactured in Bombay’.
Two aqua-glass unembossed whisky/ spirits flasks. The one on the left is colloquially termed a ‘pumpkin-seed flask’, the one on the right, a ‘coffin flask’, on account of their shapes. All such vessels are flat enough to be slid into a large...
The Cohen Brothers went bankrupt in 1892 and sold off their stock in 1892-3. N. Paul purchased their bottles and sand-blasted the name ‘PAUL’ onto them. Paul’s outlet was at St Pancras, the western terminus of the GER line to Great Yarmouth. Large...
White ceramic cup displaying a red transfer-printed image of ‘The Pier & Beach, Lowestoft’. The handle is missing. Underneath, it is stamped ‘Made in Germany’. ...
White glass moulded bottle in the shape of the Eiffel tower. A star of David is embossed on the base, containing an illegible two-digit numeral ending in 6. Bottles of this sort may have been sold containing liquor, fruit juices, or coloured sands as a souvenir....
A large and a small cowrie shell. They may have been sold as souvenirs in shops on the seafront.
Blue-glass, North American bottle, embossed ‘Bromo-Seltzer/ Emerson Drug Co/ Baltimore, MD (i.e. Maryland). Imported from the USA, discarded in Norfolk.
Imported wine bottle necks, the one on the right retaining its lead foil (which began to be used to seal the necks/ corks of imported wine bottles c. 1840). From a layer dating to the 1850s.
Red-brown glass bottle, embossed: ‘ACTIENGESELLSCHAFT/ fur ANILINEFABRIKATION/ BERLIN, S.O. This contained liquid for developing photographs.
Ceramic caviare pot, with printed lettering: ‘Finest Astrachan Caviare, imported by Fortnum & Mason Ltd’, etc. A Russian delicacy consumed at Holme Hale Hall, Norfolk.
Lead alloy toy wheel, painted red.
Transfer-printed pot lid, showing a single angry bear: ‘Genuine Russian Bear’s Grease – For Beautifying and Nourishing the Hair’ Exact provenance uncertain – north of England, 1880s site
Pot lid with printed design of bears against a mountainous backdrop: ‘Genuine Russian Bears’ Grease – for Increasing the Growth of Hair’. From an 1880s tip in Yorkshire.
‘Extractum Carnis “Liebig” – One Pound of this Extract contains thirty Pounds of Beef without fat Bone or tendon. To add to boiling water. C. Van Abbot, original importer, Cavendish Square, London, 2 ounces’. A small white ceramic pot...
Large (4 shillings) size pot lid for James Atkinson’s Bear’s Grease – a pomade for the hair. Dug from a dump of c. 1885 in Rugby, Warwickshire. Genuine bear’s grease was imported from Russia.
Batty’s Nabob Pickle (showing a nabob, seated, consuming pickle from a bottle): ‘only genuine when secured with Bett’s capsule’ (referring to a patent closure device). Late VIctorian. Provenance uncertain (Yorkshire).
Green glass bottle (base only), embossed on the base ‘Hunyadi Janos, Saxlehners Bitterquelle’, for mineral water. This was imported, probably to nearby Felixstowe, and consumed at Kirton Rectory in the 1900s.
Jars for Keiller’s Dundee Marmalade and John Moir’s Red Currant Jam. Found amid unscavenged domestic waste, 1890s.
Base of a cylindrical cream pot from an unidentified dairy in Hastings. Above ‘Hastings’ is the word ‘Ro???’ Can anyone identify the dairy? Found amid ash and domestic refuse of the 1890s at the King’s Lynn ash yard, this had travelled...
‘Irish’ clay pipe bowl, made of kaolin, embossed with a harp.
Tiny white ceramic specimen vase, painted with red floral decoration, made for the Chinese export market. This was one of three oriental vases discarded after the death of Mary Everett in 1908, probably because her daughters did not share her tastes. Other crockery...
White ceramic oriental vase with blue and white painted decoration, discarded with two others after the death of Mary Everett in 1908.
Imported oriental white ceramic flower vase, with transfer-printed design in blue, showing human figures and animals. This was one of at least three small imported oriental vases discarded, in 1908, after the death of Mary Everett, along with old and worn crockery....
Clear glass Parisian perfume bottle, which contained Cologne. Embossed ‘Rue de la Cloche/ No. 4777A, Cologne’. Two were discovered among the rubbish discarded after the death of Mary Everett in 1908 (including a number of perfume and medicine bottles)....
Transfer-printed cup, with pink, blue and gold colouring, showing the Clarkson Monument and General Post Office, Wisbech. Chipped but intact when discarded in Essex.
Dark olive-green glass Dutch gin bottle (typical design). These were packed into cases and imported. Excavated amid rubbish from the 1880s at Great Wakering. Discarded in London, dumped in Essex.
Copper alloy gilt brooch, showing Vishnu reclining on the serpent Ananta. The pin is missing. Victorian London had a small Hindu population.
Ceramic disc, black transfer on white, bearing the name of the French perfumier Maison Dorin. This disc formed a hard base on which rouge and powder were compressed. Once the make-up had been used up, it was discarded. Made in Paris and shipped to England, it was sold...
Part of a cylindrical white ceramic pot with a purple transfer. The most common sort is printed ‘Pure/ Clotted Cream/ From/ Devonshi[re]/ [D]aily’. (The ‘re’ of Devonshire and most of ‘Daily’ are visible on this fragment.) Others...
Ceramic jar, transfer-printed in black ‘Genuine Cumberland Rum Butter, Made by Millers, Kendal’. Made in Cumbria; consumed in Essex.
Child’s cup showing boy on miniature penny-farthing bicycle, with a second child very impressed. Blue transfer on white.
German-made doll’s head with under-glaze pink blush and enamel-on-glaze hair and features. The body would have been fabric, the limbs ceramic.
Made in Holland, smoked in London, dumped in Essex. Dutch clay pipes are distinctive because the bowl sits at about 45 degrees to the stem. This one is in the shape of a tulip – another Dutch import to Victorian London.
Left: medium-size Owbridge’s bottle, c. 1910, Marshbrook. Right: small Owbridge’s bottle, discarded 1915-20, Tilbury. The firm was based in Hull and sold its products all over the country. The smaller bottle was discarded in London and then dumped in...
Chinese blue and white hand-painted ginger jar, with lid. Imported.
Part of pictorial transfer-printed ginger beer bottle, showing a ship trademark (facing the prow). From a Yorkshire firm based in Leeds and Knaresborough. Found in the River Knidd.
Heavy two-tone stoneware caviare pot, incised: ‘Finest Unpressed Astrachan Caviare, imported by Cadbury, Pratt & Co’, with an address in Bond Street. Grooves in the lip allowed the lid to be tied or clamped on. The contents were shipped in from Russia....
Tucker’s Devonshire Clotted Cream pot. Blue transfer on white. 1880s. Discarded c. 1910 in labourers’ rubbish, Kent, having travelled via Devon and London.
Rectangular aqua bottle, with tooled lip. ‘Chivers & Sons Ltd, Histon, Cambridge’. The Cambridge Lemonade’. Transported to Castle Rising by rail. The powder made up to 2 gallons (32 glasses) of lemonade.
Pots for the products of Robert Seager of Ipswich. Left: ‘Chicken and Ham’ (red transfer). Right: ‘Fine Potted Ham’ (black transfer). Transported to Castle Rising by rail.
Left: base of a decoratively moulded milk-glass jar, for skin cream. Right: milk-glass jar, ‘Creme Floreine (+) Paris’ – a beauty product. Imported.
‘Floradora’: a doll by Armand Marseille of Germany. Hand painted lips, eyebrows etc. Glass eyes.
Chinese ginger jar, hand-painted, imported. Lid missing.
Left: Crosse and Blackwell’s Mango Chutney, with remnants of label – imported ingredients Right: dried olives, with remnants of labels on neck and body – imported ingredients