White ceramic pot for potted meat, left. Ribbed ceramic jar for jam or marmalade, right.
1oz brown-glass Oxo bottle, with the number 1015 embossed on the base.
Brown glass bottle embossed ‘Valentine’s Meat Juice’. For meat extract.
Fragments of polychrome transfer-printed pot lids, used for luxury meat and fish pastes. They mostly date to the period 1850-80 and preceded the black and white lids with company names. Found with Victorian rubbish at Leigh (left) and Hadleigh (right).
Plain white ceramic jars for meat or fish paste, or possibly for glue.
Potted Meat pot for G. W. Plumtree of Southport, whose factory moved to 13 Railway Street in or after 1895.
Moulded glass jar for meat or fish paste, bearing the registration number 612272 (for late 1912). Two were found in this deposit. Clear glass made with manganese oxide.
Pots for the products of Robert Seager of Ipswich. Left: ‘Chicken and Ham’ (red transfer). Right: ‘Fine Potted Ham’ (black transfer). Transported to Castle Rising by rail.
Potted meat pots. Two fragments retain part of the transfer for Plumtree’s of Southport, one of the most widely distributed brands. At least three different pots are represented here. Pots like this were superseded by moulded glass jars in the 1910s. From the...